Implementation of Rule-59(6) on GST Portal
Date : 26th August 2021
1. Rule-59(6) of CGST Rules, 2017; inserted vide Notification No. 1/2021 dated 1st January 2021, provides for restriction in filing of GSTR-1 in certain cases :
2. This Rule will be implemented on GST Portal from 1st September, 2021. On implementation of the said Rule, the system will check that whether before the filing of GSTR-1/IFF of a tax-period, the following has been filed or not:
3. This check will operate on clicking the SUBMIT button of GSTR-1 and the system will give an error message if the condition of Rule-59(6) is not met. It may be noted that records which have been saved in GSTR-1 will remain saved and filing of such records will be permitted after Rule-59(6) is complied with.
4. Implementation of Rule-59(6) on the GST Portal will be completely automated, similar to the blocking & un-blocking of e-way bill as per Rule-138E and facility for filing of GSTR-1 will be restored immediately after filing of relevant GSTR-3B. No separate approval would be needed from the tax-officer to restore the facility for filing of GSTR-1.
5. To ensure no disruption in filing GSTR-1/IFF, taxpayers who have not filed their pending GSTR-3B, especially from period November 2020 and afterwards may do so at the earliest.